Nordea Codes app
Nordea’s code app is a secure app you can download to your smartphone and tablet. You can use it to log in to Nordea’s mobile bank and other banking apps. With the code app, you can also authenticate yourself in services offered by other service providers and confirm your online payments securely. Remember to always update your mobile device’s operating system and the Nordea Codes app to the latest version.
The QR code allows you to use the code app on several devices
We recommend that you do not rely on just one code app. You should also have it activated on another device or have the code calculator ready to ensure you can continue banking even if your phone breaks, for instance. You can
- download the code app to your smartphone and tablet
- add your user profile to your spouse’s code app, for example.
If you have the code app on one device, such as your smartphone, you can use it to activate the code app on another device, such as your tablet. You can do this easily with a QR code – no separate activation codes needed.
How to add a user profile to the code app
You can add more than one user profile to the same code app.
- Open the code app on the device to which you want to add a user profile.
- Open the settings and select “Add user”.
- Follow the “Activation with a QR code” instructions from section 4 onwards.
Activation with a QR code
From an old device to a new one
- Download the code app on a new device from your app store.
- Make sure that both your old and new device have the latest code app version and that both your devices have a network connection. You can obtain a network connection either with mobile data (SIM card), a wireless network (wi-fi) or by sharing a network connection from another device.
- Check what the latest code app version is from the app store of your device. You can find out the app version by opening the code app and selecting Instructions: the version number is shown at the bottom of the page. You should activate the automatic updating for the code app in the settings of your smart device to make sure that you are always using the latest app version.
- Open the code app on your new device and select your customer group.
- Select "Nordea Finland".
- Select the language in which you want to use the code app.
- Select “Personal customer”.
- Select “Activate on this device” and follow the instructions in the app.
- Log in to your old device.
- Select the user for whom you want to activate the code app on the new device.
- Select “Activate on another device”.
- Enter your Nordea access codes and the PIN for the app.
- The app now creates a QR code with which you can activate the code app on another device.
- Go back to your new device and read the QR code from the old device with the camera of the new device.
- Once the QR code has been read, you are prompted to create a PIN and to give a name to your user profile.
- The code app has now been activated and you can close your old device.
Nordea’s customer already
First-time code app user, Nordea customer
If you are activating the code app for the first time and you have a code calculator or code card at your disposal, you can order the code app activation codes through Netbank. Please note that the activation code and the one-time PIN can only be used once and that they should be used in the same session. So you shouldn’t start activating the code app before you have received both codes.
- Check that you have the correct phone number in Netbank and that it is verified. You can check the phone number that you have verified in Netbank for use in Nordea’s services by going to “Mobile services” > “Own numbers”. We will send the activation code to your verified phone number to ensure that no one else can activate the app in your name.
- Go to the “Edit Netbank” tab and select “Access codes”.
- Order the activation codes by clicking the order button under “Nordea Codes app”.
Once you have ordered the codes you will receive:
- the activation code sent by SMS to your phone.
- a one-time- PIN sent to Netbank, where you will find it under “Edit Netbank” > “Access codes”.
After you have received the activation codes
- Open the code app and start the activation by selecting the country, language and customer type.
- Select “I have both the activation code and the temporary PIN”.
- Enter your activation code and temporary PIN.
- The activation is now almost complete. You only need to choose a four-digit PIN and to name your user profile.
The code app is now ready to use.
On what devices does the Codes app work?
The Codes app operates on iPhones and Android phones as well as on iPads and Android tablets
- iOS 10 or later versions
- Android phones and tablets versions 6 or later versions
Tip: it is worthwhile to download the Codes app on several mobile devices.
Nordea’s new customer
When you become our customer online and your application has been approved, you will receive a text message in which we ask you to activate online services on a “Become a customer” online application. Upon activation, you will receive a personal user ID which you will need whenever logging in to Nordea’s and other service providers’ services.
In several services, you can make your device remember your user ID, and you will only need to enter it when logging in to the services for the first time.
Once you have received your user ID, you can start using the code app.
- Download the code app on your mobile phone or tablet from your app store.
- You will receive the activation code in a text message to the phone number you provided on your customership application.
- Once your application has been approved, you can log in again to our “Become a customer online” service. When starting to use the code app, you will need a temporary PIN shown in the online service, in addition to 3. the activation code.
Open the code app and follow the instructions in the app.
- Start by selecting “Nordea Finland” in the app.
- Choose the language in which you prefer to use the app (you can change the language choice later in the settings).
- Select “Personal customer”.
- Select “Activation code” and enter the ten-digit activation code you received by sms and the one-time four-digit PIN shown in the online service.
- Give a name to your user profile (e.g. your first name) and choose a personal PIN. In future, you will use the PIN when logging in to services and confirming payments with the code app.
The code app is now ready for use.
When you become our customer at a branch, you will receive the activation code in a text message and the temporary PIN from the branch personnel. We will be happy to help you set up the app at the branch.
I’m not a Nordea customer but I have a Nordea payment card
The second Payment Services Directive (PSD2) requires card payments made in online shops within the European Economic Area to be confirmed more often with strong customer authentication. Holders of payment cards issued by Nordea confirm their purchases with the Nordea Codes app.
This is how you activate the Nordea Codes app when you are not a Nordea customer but you have a payment card issued by Nordea:
- Download the Nordea Codes app to your mobile device from your app store.
- Open the code app and start the activation by naming your user profile and selecting the country and language.
- Select the option “I only have a credit card through Nordea”.
- As the authentication method, select your own bank or a mobile ID and authenticate yourself.
- Once you have authenticated yourself successfully, the app will show you the phone number to which the activation code of the app will be sent.
- After having received the activation code, enter it into the app.
- The activation is now almost complete. You only need to choose a four-digit PIN with which you will confirm your future online purchases in future. The code app is now ready to use.
Alternatively, if you are not able to activate the Nordea Codes app on your mobile device, you can confirm your online purchases with a one-time password sent to you in a text message. In this case, please contact Nordea Customer Service.
Use of the code app for various services
When you use the code app for various services, you will always need your Nordea user ID. Approve the login with the code app, a PIN or fingerprint/face recognition if you have switched this functionality on in the settings of the app. Remember to check that the request for approval is correct.
Some service providers use an intermediation service. You are then asked to approve in the code app the login to the intermediation service in question (such as suomi.fi) and not to the service itself (such as Kela). The use of the intermediation service is secure and corresponds to strong identification.
Tip: If the code app does not ask you to approve the login in connection with a login attempt, make sure that you have entered your Nordea user ID correctly for the service.
- Open Nordea Mobile and enter your user ID.
- Select “Log in with the code app”.
- If the code app is on the same device as Nordea Mobile, the app will open automatically and ask “Want to log in to Nordea Mobile?”
- Approve the login with your PIN or fingerprint or face recognition.
- You will be automatically taken back to Nordea Mobile and you can start using the services. When you confirm payments, you will be automatically taken to the code app in which you confirm the transactions with your PIN.
- Open the login page of Netbank.
- Select the code app as the authentication method, enter your user ID and tap OK.
- Open the code app.
- The app will ask you “Want to log in to Netbank for personal customers?”
- Approve the login with your PIN, fingerprint or face recognition.
- You have now logged in to Netbank and can start using the services.
- When confirming payments or other transactions, open the code app again and confirm the transaction with your PIN or use biometric authentication.
Use of the code app for third-party online services
The code app is a means of strong identification (e-identification) with which you can log in to Kela’s or the Tax Administration’s services, for example. Please note that the adoption of strong identification, i.e. the e-identification service, requires a personal visit to a Nordea branch. Remember to take your passport or identity card with you to the branch.
How to log in to third-party services:
- Open the service to which you want to log in.
- Select Nordea logotype on the login page.
- Select the code app as the means of authentication.
- Enter your user ID.
- Open the code app and approve the login.
- Go back to the online service to start using the services.
When you are making purchases in online stores that have joined the MasterCard Secure Code or Verified by Visa service providing you with secure payments, the service authenticates both the buyer and the merchant at the time of the purchase.
The code app provides an easy way to confirm your online purchases. After entering your card details for the service, you will be taken to the authentication page on which you enter your user ID. After this, open the code app and confirm your purchase with the PIN or biometric authentication.
The information you entered will not be intermediated to the merchant that will only get confirmation of a successful authentication and can thereby approve your payment.
Secure use of online access codes
The access codes are always personal. Never surrender your access codes to another person. Memorise your user ID and the PIN code to Nordea Codes. Keep your user ID separate from your code app.
How does the app work?
When you have enabled the data connection in your mobile device and you enter your personal PIN in the code app, it will give you changing transaction-specific codes in the background without you being able to see them. The app will send the code to Nordea through an encrypted network. Without a data connection, the app will show the code on the mobile device's display, where you can copy it to the service you want to use.
The app's security is based on four factors: PIN code, mobile device, access codes, and connection. Always make sure that the device you use is passcode-protected. Always check each transaction and never confirm transactions you have not initiated yourself.
You need a personal PIN-code when authenticating or confirming with Nordea Codes. You can choose 4-8 digits, the PIN-code should be easy to remember but hard to guess by others. Once you have entered the PIN-code you proceed by tapping ‘confirm’.
The PIN-code is personal and device specific. Five incorrect entries of the PIN-code locks the app for 24 h. The PIN-code will be deleted from the device once the authentication completes successfully.