How to apply for a student loan
1. Apply for a state guarantee for your student loan from Kela
Start the student loan application process by filling in a study grant application, as you can apply for a study grant, housing supplement and the state guarantee from Kela on the same application. If you are a university student entitled to a study grant, you will receive a decision on the state guarantee for your student loan automatically as well.
Fill in the application to Kela with care and attach all the required documents to it. After Kela has made a favourable decision on the loan guarantee, the guarantee decision will be forwarded to the bank automatically. If you are granted a state guarantee for your student loan, you won’t need any other security for the loan.
2. Apply for a student loan easily in Nordea Netbank or Nordea Mobile
- Apply for a student loan in the old Netbank under Loans > Student loan > Student loan application. In Nordea Mobile, you can find the student loan application under “Services”.
- The processing of the application takes from one to three banking days. You need to sign the loan agreement in connection with your application online with the code app. Once you have been granted a loan, the loan agreement and terms and conditions will be available in Netbank.
- If you are a minor, you need your guardians’ (both guardians if you have two) consent for applying for a student loan. Your guardians can give their consent digitally through Omaposti, over the phone with their access codes or in a branch with a power of attorney. After this, you can apply for and drawn down a student loan through Nordea Customer Service if you have Nordea’s access codes. Alternatively, you can visit a branch.
- Please note that Nordea will receive a notice on the loan guarantee directly from Kela, so you don’t need to send it to us separately.