By following our recommendations, you can avoid fraudsters.
- Install a firewall and antivirus software.
- Update your operating system, browser and its add-ons regularly as well as the apps you use. This way you can make sure that you are using the most recent security updates. Updates improve security and include new features and improvements.
- Protect your computer, tablet and smart device with a password so that outsiders cannot use it easily and cannot access your personal data if you lose the device or if it is stolen. Fingerprint authentication is a more secure way to protect your device than a password.
- If you use a router, change the default password for one you have created yourself and which is hard to guess.
- Form a connection only to such wireless networks you trust. The connection may be a fake network which is used to collect your information.
- Never open an email or answer one, if you consider it suspicious even if it seems to come from a familiar sender. Be careful if the message contains a link or an attachment. Think twice before you open a link or an attachment.
Further recommendations for the users of tablets and smart devices
Be careful when you install apps. Irrespective of what kind of a device you have, only install apps from sources you trust. Do not jailbreak the protection of your device in order to install apps which have not been approved. Jailbreaking (rooting) increases security risks.
How to find your device if you have lost it
AInstall a locator app on your device which you can use with another device and thus find your lost device. Many locator apps have a feature with which you can delete information about the lost or stolen device or prevent its use completely.
Make sure you that your phone’s IMEI code is in a safe place so that the phone can be locked if necessary. IMEI is an abbreviation of the words International Mobile Equipment Identity and it is the unique ID of your device. It can usually be found under the phone's battery and in some phones it appears when you type *#06#.