Security on your mobile phone
There are several things you can do to keep your mobile phone safe:
- Always keep you phone in sight, as long as you know where it is, nobody will be able to use it without your knowledge.
- By adding a code to open your phone, it makes it more difficult for others than yourself to use your phone and get access to sensitive information.
- Make regular and frequent back-ups of your phone.
- Make sure you have the phone’s IMEI number written down if you need to block it.
- IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity – this is a unique number that identifies your phone. It is usually found on the inside of the battery compartment, and for some phones, it can be displayed by entering *#06# on the dialing keypad.
- Before you travel abroad, make sure you have a telephone number for your phone operator that can be used from another country.
If you have a smartphone, there are some additional things you can do to keep it safe:
- Only install apps from sources that you can trust.
- Only connect to a wifi network that you trust. There are cases where fake hotspots have been used to gather information from the phones.
- Install a location detection app that can be used from another device in order to find your phone when it has been misplaced or stolen.
- Update your operating system and your apps on a regular basis – with updates comes new security features, new functionality and better usability.
- Do not jailbreak your phone. When you root or jailbreak your phone, you remove the overall security from the device.
- Install an antivirus software on your phone, whenever possible.
If you lose your phone, or if it is stolen:
- Contact your phone company to block your mobile phone subscription.
- Check with your phone company if it is possible for them to remove sensitive information (swipe the phone).
- In case of theft; contact the police to report the incident.
- Disable any bank SMS alerts you have set up. You can do that from the Internet bank.
Advice on online services
Topical news, guidance and links on secure online banking.