Security on your mobile phone
There are several things you can do to keep your mobile phone safe:
- Always keep you phone in sight, as long as you know where it is, nobody will be able to use it without your knowledge.
- By adding a code to open your phone, it makes it more difficult for others than yourself to use your phone and get access to sensitive information.
- Make regular and frequent back-ups of your phone.
- Make sure you have the phone’s IMEI number written down if you need to block it.
- IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity – this is a unique number that identifies your phone. It is usually found on the inside of the battery compartment, and for some phones, it can be displayed by entering *#06# on the dialing keypad.
- Before you travel abroad, make sure you have a telephone number for your phone operator that can be used from another country.
If you have a smartphone, there are some additional things you can do to keep it safe:
- Only install apps from sources that you can trust.
- Only connect to a wifi network that you trust. There are cases where fake hotspots have been used to gather information from the phones.
- Install a location detection app that can be used from another device in order to find your phone when it has been misplaced or stolen.
- Update your operating system and your apps on a regular basis – with updates comes new security features, new functionality and better usability.
- Do not jailbreak your phone. When you root or jailbreak your phone, you remove the overall security from the device.
- Install an antivirus software on your phone, whenever possible.
If you lose your phone, or if it is stolen:
- Contact your phone company to block your mobile phone subscription.
- Check with your phone company if it is possible for them to remove sensitive information (swipe the phone).
- In case of theft; contact the police to report the incident.
- Disable any bank SMS alerts you have set up. You can do that from the Internet bank.
Advice on online services
Topical news, guidance and links on secure online banking.
With Nordea Codes app you can log into Netbank and Mobile Bank, pay securely for online shopping and identify yourself in Nordea Customer Service and in other service providers' services.