Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions about the Nordea Codes app
- Access codes / PIN code
The app sends codes to the bank in the background without the user seeing them. All actions are confirmed using a four-digit PIN.
- Can more than one person use the same app codes?
No. The same security principles concern the code app as a code card. Never surrender your user ID or the code app's PIN code to another person and remember to keep them in separate places.
- Can more than one user use the app on one device?
Yes. One code app can have several users. Each user starts using the code app in their Netbank and creates a personal PIN code for the app.
Users can be added under ”User settings".
Adding new users to Codeapp can more than one user take care of their daily banking from just one device.
1. Open the app and select the menu from the up right corner.
2. Select User settings.
3. Select Add user.
4. Select the country.
5. Select the language.
6. Start activating the new user by following the instructions seen on the screen of the app.
- Can I use the app on more than one device?
Yes. However, you must activate the app separately on each device. Also make sure your device version is supported by the app.
- How do I install the app to my device?
Download the app from your app store to your device. Use your code card to log in to Netbank, where you can finish the activation process. Follow the instructions given in Netbank.
Tip: Download the code app on several mobile devices.
- Why does the app not work on my mobile device?
Make sure your device is one of the following:
- Android phone or tablet, versions 2.3.3. or newer
- iOS 9 or later versions
- Windows Phone 8 or 8.1.
For security reasons, the app does not work on devices that have been rooted or jailbroken. Rooting detection was improved in the previous version of the app.
- I have installed the app, what should I do next?
You can now start using the app when accessing online services by Nordea and other service providers.
- How is the app's security ensured?
The app's security is based on four factors: PIN code, mobile device, access codes, and connection. Always make sure that the device you use is passcode-protected. Always check and never confirm transactions you have not initiated yourself.
- What should I do if an outsider finds out my app's personal PIN code?
Immediately change your PIN code in user settings in "Change PIN"
Misuse is possible only if the outsider, in addition to your PIN code, also has your user ID and mobile device. If this is the case, immediately call Nordea Customer Service, tel. 0200 70 000 in English, or our 24/7 service in Finnish, tel. 0200 3000 (local network charge/mobile call charge), to close the app.
- Is the app secure?
The app and its usage are secure as long as you remember to protect your mobile device with a passcode and never reveal your PIN code to anyone else.
- Does the app work on a device that has been rooted/jailbroken?
For security reasons, the app does not work on devices that have been rooted/jailbroken. Rooting detection was improved in the previous version of the app.
- How can I be sure I install Nordea's app and not a copy?
Make sure in your app store that the app publisher/developer is Nordea Bank AB.
- What if my phone gets stolen?
Call Nordea Customer Service and ask them to close the code app on your phone.
- What if I forget my PIN code?
In that case you must delete your present user account from the app and start using it again by adding a new user.
Activate the app again in Netbank by logging in with your code card.
- What if I can't access the Internet?
The code app also works without an Internet connection. If your device cannot access the Internet, the app will ask you to activate offline mode. You can continue to use the app in the service by again selecting offline mode.
- What if my phone gets broken?
You must activate the code app again in your new device. Download the code app from your mobile device's app store and activate the app in Netbank.
- How can I start using the app if I don't have a code card?
In this case, please call Nordea Customer Service, 0200 70 000. The app can be activated in this case as follows: you will first receive a text message to your verified phone number containing an activation code for the app. Next we will send you a letter containing a temporary PIN, which you will also need in order to activate the app. The temporary PIN will be delivered to you by post within four (4) banking days. Please wait for the PIN to arrive by post before proceeding with the app's activation using the activation code you received by text message.
If you visit one of our branches, you can obtain a temporary PIN immediately by presenting a valid personal identity document accepted by Nordea. If you don't have a code card, the temporary PIN will be delivered by post. You can also pick up a temporary PIN from your nearest service branch by presenting a personal identity document.
- Why have I not received my activation code?
Make sure you have confirmed your phone number. For security reasons, we do not send activation codes to unconfirmed phone numbers. If the problem persists, please contact Nordea Customer Service, tel. 0200 70 000.
- What is Verify call from Nordea?
Verify call from Nordea is a new functionality that can be found from the Code app's menu. When you receive a call supposedly from Nordea, this is how you verify the caller as Nordea in online mode:
- Nordea sends a verification request to the Code app and requests you to enter your four-digit PIN code.
- When the app opens in the display of your smart device, you enter your four-digit PIN code into the app.
- If the code is correct, it has been verified that the call comes from Nordea and you can start discussing your banking with the caller.
Nordea will not request access codes from its customers; the customer enters their four-digit PIN code to the Code app, after which the bank will identify the customer. After this it is safe to start discussing about your daily banking.
- What is a code calculator?
A code calculator is a secure alternative for customers who are not using a smartphone or tablet to which the code app could be downloaded.
It is lightweight, compact, and handy to carry, for example, in the card pocket of your wallet. The code calculator will be launched to our customers in March 2017. We will notify our customers when they can order a code calculator. We will also introduce a speaking code calculator for our visually impaired customers.
- For what purposes can the code calculator be used?
With the code calculator, you can log in to Netbank and Mobile Bank, as well as identify yourself in Nordea Customer Service. You can also pay for your online shopping securely and identify yourself in other service providers' services.
- When will the code calculator be available?
The code calculator can be ordered as of March 2017 via Netbank.
Customers will be informed in Netbank when the calculator can be ordered. For those customers who do not have access to the code app and who have not ordered the code calculator in Netbank, we will automatically deliver the code calculator during 2017 before the use of the code cards ends.
- How do I start using the code calculator?
- Log in to Netbank with an existing identification method The method can be either the code card or the code app. Together with the code calculator we will send you a guide instructing you on how to use it.
- Select “Edit Netbank, “Access codes”. Select the code calculator from the list and click “Start using”.
- Verify and confirm your mobile telephone number.
- You will receive the activation code to your mobile phone.
- Activate the code calculator by tapping the OK button on the calculator.
- The code calculator will ask for the activation code. Enter the activation code which you received by SMS.
- The code calculator will ask you to select a PIN. Select your own personal PIN and enter it twice into the calculator.
- The code calculator is now ready for use.
- What happens if an outsider gets hold of the calculator and tries to use it?
The calculator is PIN secured and the PIN code is only known to the owner of the calculator.
- If you type the PIN code five (5) times incorrectly, the calculator will request for the PUK code.
- If you enter an incorrect PUK code 10 times, you can no longer use the code calculator. If this occurs, you have to order a new code calculator.
- What is a PUK code?
‘PUK’ is an abbreviation of the words ‘Personal Unblocking Key’ and it is used to open a locked device. If your calculator asks for the PUK code, contact Nordea 24/7 where they can unlock the calculator.
- What is the calculator’s life span?
It has been estimated that the code calculator’s life span is about seven years depending on use.
- What is the calculator's power source?
The code calculator uses batteries as its power source. The power of the batteries lasts about seven (7) years depending on use. You do not need to change the batteries. If the batteries run out of power or the calculator does not work, you have to order a new code calculator.
- What kind of a display does the calculator have?
An LCD display.
- What are the calculator's exact measurements?
Measurements: 50.0 mm x 76.0mm x 3.8 mm
Weight: 18 grams
Keyboard: 12 keys, the numbers from 0 to 9 and the buttons OK and C
- How has the environment been taken into consideration in manufacturing the calculator?
The calculator has been manufactured in accordance with EU’s Ecodesign Directive (Directive 2009/125/EC).
- What does the code calculator cost?
Customers get the first code calculator free of charge. If the code calculator is broken, customers can order a new one without any fees from Netbank, Nordea Customer Service, or a Nordea branch.