When can I make an inquiry request?
You can request a card transaction inquiry (claim) if
- You detect card purchases and/or ATM withdrawals on your account statement which you have not made
- a card purchase you have made has been debited twice
- you have not received goods or services ordered with the card
- the product you have received is faulty
- the card transaction concerns an agreement that does not, in accordance with the consumer protection legislation, bind consumers.
As an issuer of payment cards, Nordea is liable for the unlawful use of a payment a card in accordance with the Finnish Payment Services Act and the card terms and conditions. In addition, if you have made a payment with your payment card’s credit facility, Nordea has a joint liability with the merchant to refund the cash payment in accordance with the Finnish Consumer Protection Act.
First try to settle the matter directly with the service provider
Always try first to settle the matter with the merchant if
- a transaction has been debited twice
- you have not received the products you have ordered or
- the product does not correspond to your order
- you have commited yourself to a recurring payment and you want to terminate the service.
Submit a claim to Nordea if you cannot settle the matter with the merchant. Attach a copy of the correspondence (eg hotel room cancellation number) to the claim form.
Please note that:
- A car rental agency may be entitled to charge unpaid refuelling and fines in arrears based on what has specifically been agreed on in the car rental agreement
- hotels are entitled to charge unpaid minibar purchases in arrears. All hotel reservations made over the Internet do not include a cancellation right, and hotels have the right to charge the price of one overnight stay as a "no-show" charge.
Filling in the claim form
Fill in the Claim/Inquiry request (pdf, 1 MB) form with care.
Send it without delay to the address given on the form once you have detected a transaction which you have not made on your account statement or credit card bill and which requires a card transaction inquiry. If you have not been able to solve the matter with the merchant or have not succeeded in reaching the merchant with reasonable means, send the form to us without further delay. You can also fill in the form at a Nordea branch.
To be able to process your inquiry, it is important that we get enough information on what has happened.
- Fill in the form in detail. The form must include the cardholder's information and signature.
- Report to the police
If your card has been stolen, remember to report it to the police in person. The police will investigate the offence based on your report. Attach a copy of the report to the claim form.
The bank will report the offence to the police on your behalf, if the card transaction which the claim concerns is related to illegal use. If you have information on the incident which is essential to the investigation, you can report the incident to the police yourself and attach the report to your claim. If you wish, describe the incident in more detail in the Additional information field.
Append to the form all copies of any material which may prove your right to compensation, for example:
- copies of correspondence between you and the company
- a confirmation of order
- the merchant`s service terms and conditions
- a receipt
- a notice of termination
- a notification you have made to the merchant that you want to withdraw from a regulary made agreement, as you have not specifically accepted the payment obligation related to it (the merchant`s terms and conditions were unclear, or
- a possible report of an offence
Take copies of the claim form and its attachments for yourself.
Remember the following when making (online) card purchases
Read the merchant’s service terms and conditions with care. In this way, you will avoid committing yourself to continuous and recurring payments you are unaware of. If the agreement is to be made electronically (e.g. online shopping), you as a consumer are entitled to receive from the merchant in a clear manner the details mentioned in legislation before accepting the payment transaction. The merchant must also ensure that the consumer specifically accepts his or her payment obligation related to the order. If the company has not in the electronic agreement ensured that the consumer accepts his/her payment obligation, the consumer is entitled to withdraw from the sale. However, the consumer must request the merchant to cancel the sale.